Monday, January 13, 2014

My life since yoga...

My 2013 "busy season" was a tough one for me, on and off the road.  I was not taking care of myself and my body was making a big fuss about it.

For those that know me, I am a wee bit of a work-a-holic, type A personality and I am Terrible (yes, with a capital 'T') about slowing down, stopping and recharging my batteries.

In late September 2013, I could no longer handle the sleepless nights and tiresome days due to constant back pain so I connected with Dr. Jennifer Forbes of  Heritage Chiropractic & Laser Therapy (some of you may know Dr. Jen from the BC SUP racing scene).  In addition, Jen connected me to Registered Massage Therapist, Jason MacDonald of Equilibra and between the two of them I had roughly 3 months of pretty intense treatments.  There was a hitch though, I had to do some work too!

Both Jen and Jason talked to me extensively about stretching as my body was super tight.  "Go sign up for yoga", they both said.  Admittedly, I did not follow through at first.  During one of my visits with Jen, she called me on it and I had to admit I was not really doing my "homework".  This was the push I needed.  Accountability.  Hurray!
 
Next was finding a yoga studio.  I met Jenn W. when she worked for Totem Outdoor Outfitters in Edmonton, AB and she was now living in my neighborhood teaching yoga.  No more excuses.  I called Jenn and said, "Can I have a private session?"  I was not even sure I could do yoga.  Jenn, now one of the owners of Inner Vision Yoga took about 40 minutes and assessed my range of motion etc. and told me I was good to go with Gentle Yoga.


Into my third month of yoga I feel entirely different.  No more back pain.  I am getting some sleep finally and I feel strangely present in my own body.  At almost, 42 years old you would think I would have a sense of being present in my own body but nope, not till yoga.  I now, do my best to move with intention.  Thinking about what I am going to do with my body BEFORE I do it.  I am slowing down...in a good way.

This winter I have been doing some hiking and snowshoeing and I am looking forward to getting back into a boat soon too.  I imagine that boating will feel quite different with this new found body awareness and I am excited.

Physically I am planning on a much, much better 2014 and don't be surprised if you see my yoga mat in the back of the Subee during my travels this season or in use on future paddling trips.
I am hooked!

Thank you Jen, Jason and Jenn for waking me up to the importance of being "in my body", slowing down and taking care of myself.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Green River, UT

Green River, UT
Photo: Shawna Franklin