Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Paddling in Northern BC

Tomorrow morning I am headed up to Smithers, BC, recently made famous on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart when actor Liam Neeson was a guest.  Neeson filmed his recent project, The Grey in the beautiful northern town.

Smithers is home to two of my oldest, university friends, Ron and Tiffiny as well as my good friend, Susan Smith owner of Aquabatics

We are going to mix a little business with pleasure by visiting Aquabatics and paddling into a remote cabin on Nilkitkwa Lake http://g.co/maps/tdrse

I honestly did not think we could paddle up there at this time of the year where the average 24 hr. temperatures are: -8.5 Celsius/16.7 Fahrenheit but local knowledge says we should be able to put in at Fort Babine and paddle down Rainbow Alley into Nilkitkwa Lake.  I am super excited and we've got the gear!  I'll be suiting up in my Kokatat Goretex Whirlpool Bibs and Paclite Anorak while Mark will be, in his Tempest Pants and Paclite Full Zip.

We'll bring our camera so we can post some photos of our adventure in the wintery north!

There is a ton of stuff to do in the Smithers area and while I am not much of a skier, their snow is worldclass!  Don't forget to check out the Eddyline Bistro when shopping at Aquabatics.  It's the newest cafe in town to find great coffee, delicious food and good people.

Welcome to Smithers sign!  I suspect we will see more white stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Green River, UT

Green River, UT
Photo: Shawna Franklin